About These Activities
The Healthy Native Youth Stand-Alone Lessons pull from several evaluated health resources on the site, including: Native It’s Your Game, We R Native Facilitators Guide, Native STAND, Native VOICES, and Responding to Concerning Posts on Social Media, while other activity guides have been created from scratch. These tools can be used to connect youth to culture as a protective factor, while covering vital information about sexual health, mental health, personal development and rule-setting, identity, dating and relationships, drug and alcohol use, suicide prevention, internet safety, and bullying.
As health educators, we respect curriculum design and pedagogy and encourage you to select a health curriculum that works for you and your site, implementing it from start to finish. We recognize that listening to, focusing on, and incorporating community needs and values into existing programming can also be an effective way to build youths’ knowledge and skills. The activities provided here are considered ‘enhancement activities’ to broaden existing programming, based on your community’s needs.
- Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs – Online Version (Ages: Middle School, High School): IKM Online Manual, Online Lesson PPT
- Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs – Offline Version (Ages: Middle School, High School): IKM Offline Manual, Offline Lesson PPT
- Alcohol and Drug Misuse (Ages: Middle School, High School): Drugs & Alcohol Activity Guide
- Bingo Data Collection (Ages: All): Bingo Data Collection Activity Guide
- Bullying (Ages: Middle School, High School): Bullying. Stand Up. Stand Strong! Activity Guide
- Concerning Posts on Social Media: Concerning Posts – Mind 4 Health Activity Guide
- Condom Demonstration: Video | Dental Dam Demonstration: Video
- Consent and Dating Violence (Ages: High School): Native STAND 2.0 – Relationships Part 2
- Cultural Identity (Ages: High School): Native STAND 2.0 – Culture and Tradition
- Healthy Relationships (Ages: High School): Native STAND 2.0 – Relationships Part 1
- Help Seeking Strategies: Help Seeking Activity Guide
- HIV/AIDS (Ages: Middle School, High School): Native STAND 2.0 HIV/AIDS, NIYG 2.0 About Testing Handout
- Holistic Health Checklist: Holistic Health Checklist
- Ice Breakers (Ages: All): Icebreakers
- Indigenous Leadership Skill Building (Ages: Middle School, High School): Indigenous Leaders
- Two Spirit, LGBTQ and Sexual Identity: Indigenizing+Love+Toolkit+Youth
- Media Literacy: Media Literacy with We R Native, Common Sense Media
- Mindfulness: Circle of Trust
- Mindfulness: Feelings Pie Chart
- Native Fitness (Ages: All): Indigenous Youth Fitness Activity Guide
- Public Health 101: Activities for Middle School Students; Activities for High School Students; Activities for College Students
- Reducing Risky Sexual Behaviors (Ages: Middle School, High School): Native STAND 2.0 – Safe Snagging
- Self Care for Youth: Self Care Plan for Youth
- Self Care for Elders & Adults: Self Care Plan for Elders & Adults
- Sex Trafficking Safety and MMIR (Ages: High School, Young Adult): Coming Soon
- STIs: Native STAND 2.0 STIs, NIYG 2.0 STIs Handout
- Tobacco Prevention: Sacred Circle of Tobacco
- Traditional Foods – Salish (Ages: All): Cedar-Box-Teaching-Toolkit
Other Educational Resources
- Illuminative Native Education for All – Amplify the Voices of Contemporary Native Peoples in Your Classroom with Learner and Educator Lesson Plans.
- Honoring Tribal Legacies – The Enduring Legacy of Colonialism: Indian Mascots. Download the Indian Mascots Curriculum
- Honor Native Land: Download the #HonorNativeLand Guide
- ATTLA Educational Viewing Guide & Supplemental Resources by Vision Maker Media: Link
- StoryMaker is PBS’s Student Reporting Labs Curriculum and Lesson Plan for supporting Youth Voices in media creation projects, lesson plans, and storytelling, with tutorials for educators and youth.
- Fentanyl & Opioid Response Toolkit for Schools
- CDC NERD Academy Curriculum (Grades 6-12), is an educational resource to teach STEM students about public health, epidemiology, and related careers.