Resources for Parents and Caring Adults: Talking is Power
Talking to teens about sensitive topics is never easy, but it’s important to talk to them openly and honestly. Text the word “EMPOWER” to 97779 and you’ll receive weekly text messages from Healthy Native Youth that offer culturally appropriate tips and resources, covering sexual health, pregnancy, STDs, and consent!
- Talking is Power One Pager
- Elder Blessing Video
- Traditional Stories
- Three Tips for Talking with Youth
- Grab the Moment
- The Talking Journey
- Creating Boundaries
- Dr. Shaquita Bell, a pediatrician in Seattle, has created 4 videos on identity, terms, and how to support 2SLGBTQ youth:
- Video 1 | Identity – Dr. Bell (Cherokee) digs into sexual and gender identity.
- Video 2 | Internal & External Identity – Dr. Bell (Cherokee) talks about the important role that our internal and external identities play into how we are perceived and what happens when those identities do not match.
- Video 3 | Terminology – Dr. Bell (Cherokee) digs into the terminology used for sexual and gender identity.
- Video 4 | Ways to Support People’s Identities – Dr. Bell (Cherokee) shares ways you can support people’s identities, including their sexual and gender identity.
- Gender and Sexuality Terms
- Gender Unicorn
- Goal Setting
- Setting Limits Together
- Consent Video
- My Self-care Plan
- STI Facts
- Pregnancy & Reproduction Video
- Talking About Masturbation
- Masturbation: Totally Normal Video
- Females & Masturbation Video
- Respecting The Circle of Life Video
- Resource Sheet: Talking is Power